This post has been sitting hand-written in my notebook for far too long, just waiting for a time for me to remember to type it out on here. Well entry, the time has come. I apologize for the delay...
I've been going to my new yoga studio for a few weeks now. I started out going to a Yoga for Runners class for obvious reasons, but a few weeks ago I only had time for an earlier class. My options were a challenge class and a basics class. The night before I decided on the challenge class so I could really push myself and see what I could do. Then I woke up on Saturday and my body had different plans. I wasn't feeling very well, so nice and easy basics it was. Turned out to be a fantastic decision and I had my yoga revelation.
During the class, the instructor reminded us to stop worrying about how we look in our pose. It doesn't matter how high your leg is! Do what feels right, make the pose yours, and it will be beautiful.
This really stuck with me and I've been thinking about it since. Ever since I started doing yoga I've tried to make it a serious workout. I knew yoga was supposed to relax me but I wanted to feel the burn. I wanted to be good, I wanted to look good and impress people. But that isn't what this yoga basics class is about.
The instructor started by reading a book passage and talked about letting go of the things that bother us. The whole experience was moving, for lack of a better word. I felt relaxed and like I was truly taking care of my body and treating it with love. This is something very, very different for me. I've spent as long as I can remember either thinking negatively about my body or pushing it hard in an attempt to change it.
Taking an hour and a half of my week to treat my body kindly has been wonderful. It's sad that it took me so long to find that kindness. Hopefully I can eventually learn to take I learn in class and apply that loving kindness to myself throughout the rest of my week.
Looking back on everything I wrote in my notebook makes me both happy and sad. I wrote this in a very positive mindset and unfortunately that positivity is not present all of the time. A week ago I decided that I would really start working toward a goal weight I've set for myself to be reached by January 31st. I started the week out pretty well but ate more and more junk throughout the week.
I'm not one who thinks I need to cut out all sweets (my weakness) to lose weight, but I need to reconsider what moderation is! So I'll be starting fresh this week, doing some light weights at work when the kiddos are snoozing, and getting to the gym or running about 3 times before the weekend.
That's the plan at least. With finals starting in a week, I won't be too hard on myself if paper writing or studying interferes with my plans :)
Have a good week everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment