Thursday, September 6, 2012

Much to catch up on

It's been many months now since I've last written on here, and a lot has happened in these last months.  Admittedly, my absence was caused by my lack of running this summer, since that was the main focus of my posts.  It became very easy to think "I should write about this", and then not do anything with those thoughts.  So as I'm nearing the finish line for this chapter of my life, I feel this is a great time to get my thoughts out so they don't completely overwhelm me. And of course, to track my workouts to keep myself accountable.  More on that later!

In the last few months, I started my internship, kept taking classes, and left my nannying jobs for a waitressing job.  Internship has kept me incredibly busy with working three days and co-leading groups. There have been ups and downs, positives and negatives, but mostly it has been a very positive experience so far.  I'm coming out of one of the more negative experiences right now, especially because new interns will be starting next week and I will have a new supervisor the week after that.  In true nerd style, I am excited to have so many new people to learn from. I'll be at the same placement until December, when it is finally GRADUATION! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it looks good.

So I started waitressing at a brand new place in Independence that opened up in June.  Again, it had it's ups and downs. Great food (up), but little business (down). I waited it out for a few months, but business just wasn't picking up and I knew I had to make a change.  Luckily, I pretty quickly got hired at a different restaurant that has much more business and I am very excited to start training for that!

I have managed to find time between internship, classes, and work to exercise.  After the disaster that was the Cleveland Half-Marathon, I decided I needed some time off from running.  A mental health break, really.  I had plans to run another half in September, and was still toying with the idea of training for the full in Columbus, but I know myself well enough to know I mentally could not handle the training for either race.  So I barely ran from the end of May till the end of August. Instead of running, Ry and I joined a new gym (which I love) and I started taking classes and lifting there.  Having a guy to help me with the weight lifting, making sure I have the right form, pushing me to make it through the set, has been awesome.  I love how strong I feel after a good workout with weights.

Now that I've gotten the motivation to start running again, I've decided to really ease into it.  I'm only running once or twice a week, and mixing that in with the workouts I was already doing.  I'm reconditioning my body for running without overdoing it and burning myself out again, and I am very happy with my decision!

Some other changes... I'm no longer a vegetarian! Another decision I had to think hard about and really listen to my body, but I'll talk about that in another post.

And finally, Tuesday began the family Biggest Loser Challenge.  My parents, brother, boyfriend, and I all had our initial weigh-in on Tuesday morning, and we will continue the challenge through the end of October.  Winner gets cash from everyone and the loser has to make dinner/clean up for a week (at least in the house with my parents and brother, Ry and I haven't made that wager yet for our house!)

I'm thinking of posting my weekly weight here with what I have been doing for the week.  Putting that number out there will really hold me accountable... So maybe next Tuesday I'll be brave enough to put that information online!

Until next time, xoxo Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment