Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey Trot - 2012

On Thanksgiving morning, I got up and headed to the parents' house to meet my step-dad and his sister to go run the Turkey Trot.  My step-dad and I ran both ran this race last year, so I was excited to be downtown running around my favorite city again. Unfortunately, I forgot my race bib at home (35 minutes away), the first time I have EVER done that.  Fortunately, my awesome boyfriend and brother volunteered to go back, grab it, and meet me downtown.  It was a close call, but they made it just in time and I am SO thankful they were willing to do that for me.

Note to self: NEVER leave your race bib at home again! That was stressful.  

I could not believe how wonderful the weather was.  I was a little chilly in my outfit of choice but really warmed up at soon as I started running.  I decided to wear my running skirt, on Thanksgiving, in Cleveland! Two days later there was snow on the ground, so I think it's time to retire the running skirt for the winter.  Sad :( 

So I checked my time for last years Trot and I finished the 5 miles in 45:09, so about 9:02 minute miles.  I was determined the beat that time and Ryan really encouraged me to push myself and push the pace from my comfortable 10 minutes miles.  So when I race started I really pushed it (maybe too much) to get through the massive amount of runners.  After the first two miles I was starting to get tired, but continued to push myself.  When I got the the hills, I slowed down a little bit but wouldn't let myself walk.  During the 4th mile I was still going slower, but thought I'd pick it up in the last mile.  

I tried my hardest to push the pace that last mile, especially when I could see the finish line.  Ryan, his parents, and my brother were on the side of the road cheering me on as I got close and I somehow found the gas to sprint to the finish.  I looked at my Garmin and knew the official time was going to be close (like within seconds) of last year's.  

45:10.  1 second slower!! I'm kinda bummed about that.. but considering I took the whole summer off from running and have done absolutely no speed work, I'm proud that I was able to keep the same pace as last year! (The official results still had me at (9:02 minute miles). Big congrats to Brad for SMOKING me in this race (he rocked close to 8:30 minute miles) and to his sister Julie for finishing the Trot for the first time! 

We went home and pigged out on a brunch of a breakfast casserole, monkey bread (so so delicious), fruit, and chocolate chip muffins (my contribution to Thanksgiving breakfast). 

I made them the day before and of course had to sample one straight out of the oven.  

After a few hours at my parents' house, we headed over to Ryan's aunt and uncle's for Thanksgiving dinner, followed by Black Friday shopping at the Aurora outlets.  I am a big fan of the stores opening up by 9:00 pm so we're not out crazy late.  We also made a stop at Best Buy and Target after the outlets, getting home with almost all of my shopping done by 3:00 am.  Okay, I guess that is still crazy late.  

The rest of the weekend was spent napping, babysitting, watching football, volunteering at a soup kitchen with my church, and a few of these:





Fat Head's Bumble Berry beer.  Ryan got frozen blueberries to throw in the glass... absolute perfection.  Great way to watch OSU beat Michigan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment