Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lacing Up

I guess one good thing about not blogging for awhile is that I have a lot to report on when I make my return.  But with that being said, I should really be more consistent with writing and posting.  I have a feeling that the next few months are going to be something I would enjoy looking back on/reading about in a few years.

Update 1: I am no longer waitressing, just babysitting.  And very very happy with that decision.  Now I actually have time to study for my licensure exam because...

Update 2: the National Counselor Exam (NCE) is in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS.  That means that unless than two weeks, I will know if I passed and if I will have a provisional professional counselor license.  Provisional because I still have to graduate...

Update 3: In LESS THAN TWO MONTHS!! That's right folks, one month from now I will be facing my last finals week and in about six weeks I will be graduating with my Master's.  There may not be accurate words to sum up my excitement.  I have truly loved my internship, the people I've worked with, and the work I have done, but mamma needs a paycheck.  Balancing internship, work, school, and groups has led me to a little craziness, such as a recent decision I made...

Update 4: I'm running a half-marathon in about two weeks.

After the disaster that was the CLE half-marathon, I needed a comeback.  Since May I just assumed that my comeback would be at the CLEhalf next May.  Then one day at internship, while having a conversation about running with a fellow intern/runner, I got a little curious.  We were talking about the good things about training for races, and the excitement of race day, those sort of things.  So I decided to do a little research, and found out that the Strongsville Fall Classic Half-Marathon was just two months away.  So I day later I impulsively signed myself up.

Okay, this is super exciting, but impulsive is sure a great way to describe this decision.  After CLE I barely ran all summer.  I'm talking maybe one or two sprint workouts on the treadmill but that's it.  When the weather started cooling down I went outdoors for a few 2-3 mile runs, but that was my base when I decided to train for a half in two months.

The first week I got a few 4-5 mile runs under my belt just to have a more solid base, then added a mile every weekend to my long runs.  SO right now I'm at 8 miles, hoping to conquer 10 something this weekend.  I'm a bit nervous about that distance, my running has been lackluster this past week thanks to Sandy rains (treadmills are the worst) and a stomach bug earlier this week.

But I won't let myself get too worried.  If I learned one thing from my last training, it's to actually enjoy running.  That has been the number 1 priority in my mind since I started back up in the fall.  If I can't go as fast or as far as I'd like, so what? I refuse to put myself in the mindset I did for CLE, and I WILL enjoy this half-marathon no matter how long it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment