Sunday, December 9, 2012

Jingle Bell 5k

Saturday was an all around great day, one of those days when you are sad it is over.

Saturday morning started out with the Jingle Bell 5k at Legacy Village.  I actually won a race entry from another blog, which was wonderful because otherwise I would not have signed up for it.  I'm trying to save money until I get a full-time job after graduation, and race entries were something I had to cut.  I was planning to only run the Fall Classic and the Turkey Trot this fall, so I'm very thankful that I was able to add in a 5k!

I was really hoping to finish under 27:00, but that didn't happen. I was very flustered at the beginning of the race for a few reasons.  Thank you to Ryan for calmly putting my jingle bells on my race bib as I yelled at my timing chip for not tying into my shoelaces easily.  Like I said... flustered.

Then, my Garmin took forever locating satellites and I wanted to be able to pace myself, so when the race started and everyone started running, I was still standing at the start line.  It was probably for only ten seconds but it felt like FOREVER until my watch was ready to go, and I took off.  I wanted to keep my pace around 8:45/mile, a pace I know is not easy but do-able if I push myself.  As I darted through the crowd trying to get through the walkers, I looked down and saw 7:50.  Good pacing, Kate.

Had I known what was in store those next 2.5 miles I would have saved my energy.  I am not a fan of hills, and unfortunately a good chunk of the course was hilly. I guess I should have known, I am familiar with the area and know it is not flat, but dang those hills were no fun. My pace slowed during the second mile and I was never able to regain speed due to the hills.  I wanted to stop so many times to walk during the last mile, so I'm just glad I finished without stopping.

After I started breathing normally again...
Once we got back into Legacy it was flat and I tried to push myself at the end.  By the last half mile I was literally wheezing every time I took in a breath and was completely out of gas, but I managed to finish in under 29:00.  Definitely not my fastest 5k, but I will take it. Note to self, don't underestimate or overlook hills in training for races next spring.  Know your weaknesses, and work to overcome them.

The rest of the day included visiting my little brother's new apartment, a short Crossfit-style workout at the gym, a much needed nap, Edison's for dinner (cheese pizza & Christmas Ale!), Cavs game, Casino, and checking out the Christmas decorations at Tower City.



Like I said, a great day.  Friends, family, food, and Cleveland at Christmas.  
What could be better? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment